Sun spots are problematic to cover with make up.
We can help you get rid of your sun spots at DCCM. We use Intense Pulsed Light Therapy (IPL). Or some refer to it as photo rejuvenation or a photo facial.
So what is IPL? It is actually not a true laser by definition. It is rather a non-coherent intense pulse of light in lower energy to rejuvenate the skin. AKA get rid of sun spots and sun damage.
We offer two kinds of IPL treatments here at DCCM; the Nordlys by Candela and the Elos Plus IPL also by my favorite laser device company, Candela.
What exactly is happening with an IPL treatment?
- Once sufficient light reaches the targeted tissue, the absorbed light then converts to heat.
- The temperature of the targeted tissue rises in order to damage the target while sparing the surrounding tissue.
The ideal candidate for IPL:
- Solar lentigines (sun spots, age spots or liver spots)
- Vascular changes
The benefits include:
- Glowing smooth skin
- More youthful looking skin
- Improved appearance of sun spots, and uneven pigmentation
- A decrease in flushing and rosacea
- Even tone skin
- Smaller pores
- The procedure is minimally uncomfortable and there is relatively no downtime or recovery time.
- Most or mild and short in duration
- Immediately following the treatment you will be a little red or swollen and feel like you have a sun burn. The brown spots get darker in the days to follow and eventually slough off all on their own. Capillaries can become more prominent for a few days before they settle down. In rare cases, 1 %, a patient may blister. Proper at home wound care will prevent long term damage.
We recommend a series of 4-6 Photo Facials depending on the condition and/or the severity of the condition. Results from the IPl are long lasting. It is advised to keep up with maintenance treatments.
The IPL treatment doesn’t not help with:
- Loose skin
- Baggy or creepy skin
- Puffiness around the eyes
- Skin Cancer
- Bumpy Moles
- Sebaceous hyperplasia ( a benign growth of an oil gland).
This treatment is contraindicated in those individuals that are:
- Using Accutane- must have stopped accurate for six months prior to IPL
I feel passionately about the combination of good at home skin care and the use of in office treatments. Each client that purchases a series of 4 or more IPL treatments will be given a skin care kit. This way we can be sure that your skin is being taken care of and we are optimizing your results. I look forward to caring for you all. Please feel free to book online with us @